Usability Test Script
Thank you so much for talking with me today. I’m ____ and I’m going to walk you through the session today. This is ____ who will observe in silence and help us take notes during our interview.
Today I want to get your feedback on a new product/feature we’re working on. I’ll start by asking some background questions to get to know you. Then I’ll show you an early prototype of the product/feature and ask you to do some tasks.
As you work on those tasks, please think out loud as much as possible. That means to tell us what you’re looking at, what you’re trying to do, and how you think you will do it. If you get confused or don’t understand something, please tell me. If you see things you like, tell me that too.
I want to make clear is we are testing the prototype and not you – so there are no wrong answers you can give. The more candid you are with your feedback, the more helpful it would be for us.
If you have any questions as we go along, I may not be able to answer right away since we're interested in how people do when they don’t have someone sitting next to them to help. Please ask those questions anyway, and I’ll try to answer any questions you still have when we’re done at the end of the session.
Because we’re using a prototype, some features and buttons may not work quite right. You can still click anywhere you like to do the tasks. When you run into something that’s not working, I’ll let you know.
With your permission, we’re going to record what happens on the screen and our conversation. The recording will be used for research purpose only and it won’t be seen by anyone outside of the project team. Your answers will be kept confidential. Can I have your permission to record this call?
Great! Do you have any questions before we get started?
- What kind of work do you do? How long have you been doing that?
- What does a typical weekday look like for you?
- What do you like to do when you’re not working?
- Do you have any favorite website or app?
- Have you used any apps, websites or other program to help you with …? Which ones?
Scenario & Tasks
Scenario: You are planning a trip to Hawaii and want to save up money for the trip.
Using this app, make a plan for how you can save $3,000 by July 15th.
- Do you think there is any other way to do this?
- How helpful or not helpful was the recommendations section?
Expected path: Home > Set goal > Enter goal & time > Pick recommendation or set budgets manually > Confirm
Look out for:
- Does user understand planning start with “set goal” button?
- Is completing the flow easy and clear?
- What do you think this is?
- What can you do here?
- What just happened there? Was that what you expected?
- What goes through your mind as you look at this?
- Did you find what you were looking for?
- What would you do next? Why?
- Is there anything else you would do at this point?
- What do you like or dislike about this?
- How would you describe this to a friend?
- If you had three wishes to make this better for you, what would you wish for? Why?
This has been incredibly helpful. Your input is really valuable for me and the team as we think about the next steps for these ideas. Do you have any questions before we wrap up?
Would you be open to speaking with us again in the future?
Thanks again for your time. Have a good rest of the day!